2009 introspective

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu May 7 15:42:06 BST 2009

> Hi...
>
> I'm putting together a "where are we now, where are we going" snapshot of
> as
> many of the "big pieces" in KDE 4 as possible, and I'd like some input
> from
> you on Dolphin and Konqueror.
>
> In particular, what I'm looking for are 2-4 bullet items for each of these
> two
> questions:
>
> * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?

Note: please consider this a draft of sort --- I couldn't catch people I
wanted to review this, but I also don't want to keep you hanging.

For KHTML, and KJS, it would be rather hard to summarize it this short
accurately (I went through changelogs, and it came out as about a screen
worth of bullets), so let's see if I can make some -really- long bullets.

* New web APIs supported: CSS3 web fonts, CSS3 media queries, various
properties from a mixture of CSS3 modules, some fragments of HTML5, some
fragments of DOM3, etc.
* Performance, performance, performance: bytecode engine and other
optimizations in KJS. Significant CSS matching improvements. Significant
text wrapping optimizations. Lots of painting optimizations. Various
prefetching and preemption techniques to improve responsiveness.
* Lots and lots of compatibility and standard compliance bugfixes.
* And, foundations of important stuff: editing & SVG. Both are rather...
spartan in their functionality at the moment, but they're something to
build on.

> * What are the main focus points and or goals for the project in 2009?

Well, I think a big chunk will be building on the "foundations" listed
above --- especially with the GSoC project and editing. Beyond that, I
think our development tends to focus on attacking many angles
incrementally at once, and being responsive to the bug report traffic.