Google Summer of Code; File size based folder view

Casian Andrei skeletk13 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:16:46 GMT 2009

Hello,

I am Casian Andrei, student at the Bucharest Polytechnic University,
Computers Faculty. I have good knowledge of C++ and acceptable knowledge of
Qt and lots of experience with OpenGL and Delphi.

Unfortunately i don't have experience with SVN, but this won't be a problem,
since soon I and a friend will install a local SVN server for us to develop
a flight simulator project properly.

I would like to propose to you a project idea. I hope it was not already
proposed and rejected :-s.
It is about a new folder view mode in Dolphin / Konqueror. I once used a
program called SpaceMonger, that I liked much. So all the files and folders
can be represented by differently colored boxes with their size proportional
to the file or folder sizes.

Of course, the user could select and delete them just like with the other
views. This can be very useful if one wants to delete some large movies for
example to free space on the hard disk. The user enters the home directory
and he sees a large box somewhere in the box of the movies folder for
example and selects it and deletes it. This is also a very fast way to see
what files occupy the most and I think this would be a great thing to add to
Dolphin and Konqueror.

I hope you like the idea. You can find screenshots of that old program here
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/scrnshot.php

I think I will be able to implement this during the GSoC schedule. I now
understand the principles of the model/view framework in Qt so this will be
useful.

Oh, and I have never used a mailing list before so I hope I haven't done
stupid mistakes :-s

Best regards,
Casian Andrei