Microformats

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 13 23:29:18 BST 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 18:07:06 David Edmundson wrote:
> Dear Konqueror mailing list,
>
> Recently I was shown microformats, a specification for embedding machine
> readable data inside HTML.  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard. To
> sumamrise: if an author (such as a search on maps.google.com) marks up
> their data in a special way, a kaddressbook compatiable vcard can be
> created with a plugin. Cool stuff.  I was more excited to find someone had
> written a Konqueror microformat plugin for extracting this data. However
> it's been commented out in the parent CMakeFiles.txt that builds all the
> konqueror plugins.
>
> This is probably because
> 1) it crashes a lot

Yeah, That, and the address book integration didn't work anyway, and it wasn't
clear at that time what the proper way of fixing that would be.

> 2) it doesn't work (meet the spec) properly anyway*
>
> *In fairness to the author he is linking in the readme to a very old
> version of the specification and wrote the code many years ago and I think
> it has changed since.
>
> I took it upon myself to fix it. It's not finished,

Very cool. Thank you for doing this!

> my variant has currently removed any support for events,

Did those even work?

> and has a teeny memory leak with
> the way I'm storing (and not clearing) addresses in a structure, and I
> don't match all the rules in the hcard spec yet.

I am sure you'll fix those...

> I wanted to post to the list with what I've got to check I'm not wasting my
> time working on this, and if anyone would mind if I took over the current
> SVN directory.

This hasn't really been developed, modulo minimal porting since 2006,
so I don't see that as likely.

Wrt to the patch: you probably don't actually need the actualTextForNode
method, but can use DOM::Node::textContent() instead.  For getNodeAttribute,
it's simpler to just use DOM::Element::getAttribute... Not that that helps you
much /now/.

Thanks,
Maks