Microformats

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 23:07:06 BST 2009

Dear Konqueror mailing list,

Recently I was shown microformats, a specification for embedding machine
readable data inside HTML.  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard. To sumamrise:
if an author (such as a search on maps.google.com) marks up their data in a
special way, a kaddressbook compatiable vcard can be created with a plugin.
Cool stuff.  I was more excited to find someone had written a Konqueror
microformat plugin for extracting this data. However it's been commented out
in the parent CMakeFiles.txt that builds all the konqueror plugins.

This is probably because
1) it crashes a lot
2) it doesn't work (meet the spec) properly anyway*

*In fairness to the author he is linking in the readme to a very old version
of the specification and wrote the code many years ago and I think it has
changed since.

I took it upon myself to fix it. It's not finished, my variant has currently
removed any support for events, and has a teeny memory leak with the way I'm
storing (and not clearing) addresses in a structure, and I don't match all the
rules in the hcard spec yet.

I wanted to post to the list with what I've got to check I'm not wasting my
time working on this, and if anyone would mind if I took over the current SVN
directory.

See my patches attached.

Thanks

David.