Vertically stacked tabs in Konqueror?

homoludens homoludens1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:27:10 BST 2009

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 23:44:40 david at davidedmundson.co.uk wrote:
> > Is it possible somehow to stack Konqueror's tabs vertically on top of
> > teach
> > other, rather than having them lined up horizontally? And if so, how
> > would I
> > go about it?
>
> The easy approach is to find the main tab widget and call:
>
> tabWidget->setTabPosition(QTabWidget::West);
>
> However that won't look like the screenshot in the link, in order to
> achieve that you will need to subclass QTabBar, with code to draw tabs in
> that style. (something that would be nice to keep generic and reusable).
> Then you can call tabWidget->setTabWidget(yourNewTabBar)
>
> Hope that makes sense, can go into more detail when not at work.
>
> Dave

Dave, thanks a lot for your reply! I should've probably mentioned that I'm a
mere, humble user with basically no programming knowledge ...

Well, I first of all take from your reply that vertical tabs are possible,
which is great. Simply ordering the tabs vertically is a first, good step; I'd
like to experiment with that, so perhaps if you have a second at some point,
you can explain the steps to me in detail (cf. " find the main tab widget and
call" ...)

Getting the same kind of functionality in Konqueror as Firefox's Tree Style
Tab would of course be the ultimate, but I suppose I'd actually need some
programming skills to do that. Hm, I think I'll just post it as an idea /
feature request to KDE bugs.

I've so far been using Firefox; it's a great program and I like it, but I'd
really like to switch to Konqueror in the medium term because I feel I'm
missing so much of the KDE-specific extra functionality.

Again, thanks for your help,

Bob