KHTML development

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sun Apr 19 23:30:14 BST 2009

Hello Marcus,

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Marcus Harrison wrote:

> I've been interested in contributing to KDE in the form of code for a while
> now (since KDE 4.0), but I have also been stuck on what to contribute to...
> and finding time to learn C++. Now, I've decided that I would be interested in
> developing KHTML for a few reasons:

Great!

[Good reasons]

> I still have the problem that my knowledge of C++ development is still very
> limited, and though I take great interest in it, I also have college-work to
> stay on top of, leaving me with little time to study C++. I've already
> downloaded the source for kdelibs-4.2.2 and study it in the hopes of
> understanding how various relationships work in C++ (And KHTML) (I'm starting
> to understand Classes and Objects).
> The problem is, I'm not entirely sure what to do. Could you provide me any
> advice, please? It would be greatly appreciated.

One good way to get started is to pick some problem that you or someone
else experiences (bugs.kde.org provides enough input;) and us that as an
example to first learn about how the code works and then fix it. It might
take some time on the first one but quickly makes you an expert in the
first parts of code :)

Feel free to drop by on the #khtml channel on irc.kde.org to discuss
possible tasks and get some help from other developers.

Harri.