Proof of concept: KHTMLFindBar for KHTMLPart

Bernhard Beschow bbeschow at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 3 20:16:08 BST 2008

Hi,

too bad, I didn't receive your mail in my mailbox. So let's try to simulate a reply:

On Monday 01 September 2008 19:27:41 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for your work. I have to say that I am working (yes, I am
> doing zillion things in parallel...) in a way of implementing tips in a non
> blocker way. That said, the "widget" I am developing aims to be general, and
> for a general use (like could be this one, or kwallet for saving passwords,
> informing when you have left a https for a http connection...).
>
> Actually, you can pull it from gitorious:
> http://gitorious.org/projects/personal-kdelibs/repos/mainline/logs/ktip
>
> It generates something like this:
> http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/08/ktipreworktop2.png
>
> In this example, it is used for showing tips, but as I say, it will be able to
> handle whatever you want.
>
> I believe this solution is "better", since it can be used from different
> applications for different purposes, having all the time the same appearance
> (that screenshot is a bit outdated, now it has different background than the
> rest of the window).

This looks indeed very promising and I'd prefer a global solution, too. Since I just needed a way to show the find bar and the kate implementation came in very handy, I just used that.

> So, to sum up, it would be great if we can have your patch adapted when this
> hits kdelibs... since your solution seems pretty located at one point, and if
> somebody else on other app wants to benefit from this, it will be impossible,
> or he will have to c&p, which can't be done because we love kitties, don't we
> ?

Since you are working on a global framework already, one of the first things to come up will probably be a "KFindBar", which could be used as an alternative for KFindDialog. This find bar could then be used in the KHTMLPart as well, making this patch rather obsolete by then.

Anyway, when do you think you will publish your patch? If I happen to have some free time then, I'd volunteer to implement KFindBar as an alternative for KFindDialog.

Regards,
Bernhard