SVG in Konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Nov 27 23:46:54 GMT 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 04:22:26PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Dave Feustel wrote:

>>> Is the Batik SVG toolkit something I could use without
>>> installing/activating Apache?
>> Yes it is an independent package, however, it is written in Java.  This
>> means that you can either use it with JNI (which is now [indirectly] a
>> dependency for KDE4) or try to build it with GCJ (which may or may not
>> work).
>>> Thanks.
>
> I am still staying very far away from any packages with Java
> dependencies. I *was* again getting interested in Java, but actually
> seeing what is involved in getting Java installed scared me away from it again.
> Java is just too much of a monster for me to get involved with.

It isn't a large problem to install -- since Soprano (KDESupport) needs
it, you should have it installed already if using KDE-4.  If your distro
doesn't have a binary for it, just download the JDK from Sun, unpack it
and copy it to "/usr/local/", and set the necessary environment variables.

I have attached my profile.d script for JDK 1.6.0_03[change the version
if needed}.

--
JRT