preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

Mathias Kraus k.matze at gmx.net
Sat May 31 16:14:43 BST 2008

Peter Penz schrieb am Saturday 31 May 2008:
> On Saturday, 31. May 2008 16:21:34 Peter Penz wrote:
> > On Saturday, 24. May 2008 12:35:50 Mathias Kraus wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a folder with thousands of pictures (comics from sinfest.net,
> > > it's addictive) in it and if I open that folder with preview enabled,
> > > dolphin is extremely slow and tries to create all the thumbnails for
> > > the pictures. If I open the folder with gwenview, it feels very fast,
> > > because only the thumbnails for the pictures that are in the window are
> > > created. Is it possible to do it in dolphin the same way and shall a
> > > fill a report on b.k.o?
> >
> > Which Dolphin version did you use? Dolphin for KDE 4.1 should be as fast
> > as Gwenview, Dolphin vor 4.0.x was very slow in this case...
>
> (sorry for replying to myself all the time today...)
>
> I've just tested Dolphin in KDE 4.1 with thousand images where no previews
> have been cached before. Although Dolphin for KDE 4.1 creates the previews
> for the visible area first when opening a directory, it still does not
> recognize when the user scrolls down to the bottom. (Bad) result: the
> previews for 9xx images are created first before the previews of the new
> visible area get created...
>
> I'll try to fix this for KDE 4.1, thanks for the report!

Nice to hear and thanks for your effort.

Today I discovered another preview problem with the Information Panel. I
downloaded the Big Buck Bunny Movie from
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/ and when I tried to
open it, Dolphin freezes for almost a minute. I guess the Information Panel
tries to read the whole file, because the memory usage from Dolphin went up to
over 500MiB.

Btw, I use kde4 from trunk, so the problem is in the latest version.

Thanks,
Mathias