preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sat May 31 15:37:37 BST 2008

On Saturday, 31. May 2008 16:21:34 Peter Penz wrote:
> On Saturday, 24. May 2008 12:35:50 Mathias Kraus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a folder with thousands of pictures (comics from sinfest.net, it's
> > addictive) in it and if I open that folder with preview enabled, dolphin
> > is extremely slow and tries to create all the thumbnails for the
> > pictures. If I open the folder with gwenview, it feels very fast, because
> > only the thumbnails for the pictures that are in the window are created.
> > Is it possible to do it in dolphin the same way and shall a fill a report
> > on b.k.o?
>
> Which Dolphin version did you use? Dolphin for KDE 4.1 should be as fast as
> Gwenview, Dolphin vor 4.0.x was very slow in this case...

(sorry for replying to myself all the time today...)

I've just tested Dolphin in KDE 4.1 with thousand images where no previews
have been cached before. Although Dolphin for KDE 4.1 creates the previews
for the visible area first when opening a directory, it still does not
recognize when the user scrolls down to the bottom. (Bad) result: the
previews for 9xx images are created first before the previews of the new
visible area get created...

I'll try to fix this for KDE 4.1, thanks for the report!

Cheers,
Peter