preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

Mathias Kraus k.matze at gmx.net
Tue Jun 10 22:25:30 BST 2008

Peter Penz schrieb am Monday 02 June 2008:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> On Saturday, 24. May 2008 12:35:50 Mathias Kraus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a folder with thousands of pictures (comics from sinfest.net, it's
> > addictive) in it and if I open that folder with preview enabled, dolphin
> > is extremely slow and tries to create all the thumbnails for the
> > pictures. If I open the folder with gwenview, it feels very fast, because
> > only the thumbnails for the pictures that are in the window are created.
>
> I've just submitted a patch which resolves this issue. When the user
> scrolls down, the generating of previews is paused and resumed again for
> the new visible area. I've tested it with 1000 items and it seems to work
> very well.
There is no change for me. I rebuild KDE in release mode, but when preview is
switched on, I have a delay of several seconds. If I switch preview off, the
delay is still there until I leave and then enter the folder again, then it is
really fast. You can try it for example in /usr/bin, there are usually also
many files.

> In opposite to Gwenview Dolphin also created previews for the invisible
> items in background.
Is it maybe possible to move it into an other thread, or just disable the
preview creation if number of items is bigger than x? I also noticed, that the
CPU is very high, when dolphin creates the previews.

Best regards,
Mathias