preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sun Jun 1 23:20:25 BST 2008

Hi Mathias,

On Saturday, 24. May 2008 12:35:50 Mathias Kraus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a folder with thousands of pictures (comics from sinfest.net, it's
> addictive) in it and if I open that folder with preview enabled, dolphin is
> extremely slow and tries to create all the thumbnails for the pictures. If
> I open the folder with gwenview, it feels very fast, because only the
> thumbnails for the pictures that are in the window are created.

I've just submitted a patch which resolves this issue. When the user scrolls
down, the generating of previews is paused and resumed again for the new
visible area. I've tested it with 1000 items and it seems to work very well.

In opposite to Gwenview Dolphin also created previews for the invisible items
in background.

Please note that when testing it in trunk that due to the debug mode the
performance of previews in general is quite slow. E. g. when I suspend the
previews when touching the scrollbar I've a small delay, which does not occur
in the release mode.

Best regards,
Peter