preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 9 14:16:09 BST 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008, Peter Penz wrote:
> Although Dolphin for KDE 4.1 creates the previews
> for the visible area first when opening a directory, it still does not
> recognize when the user scrolls down to the bottom. (Bad) result: the
> previews for 9xx images are created first before the previews of the new
> visible area get created...

Interesting. I wrote very similar logic in KMimeTypeResolver (kio) :
it's able to determine the mimetype of the items in the visible area
before looking at other items. When I wrote that code, I had in mind
that previews could be integrated into it as well.
But well; on one hand it would make the code complex (the list of
pending items is not necessarily the same for delayed-mimetype-determination
and for previews) ... on the other hand it might give a better synchronization
between the two behaviors (don't want to ask for a preview before the
mimetype is known ;).  Well, the latter probably happens automatically, in fact;
when you call KFileItem::mimetype() the mimetype is determined on demand,
so it's probably fine.
Just a few thoughts; no action item for anyone if you fixed it in dolphin already :)
[as long as kfiledialog doesn't have inline previews in its icon view]