KFileDialog: "Parent Folder" button

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Thu Jul 31 21:03:29 BST 2008

Am Thursday, 31. July 2008 09:58:08 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
[...]
> >  > 2008 > January".
>
> For me the bookmark is a way to go somewhere fast, it's not a way to
> hide the complexity of my folder hierarchy. So the fact that the
> hierarchy is hidden is a problem for me.

I understand - after reading the feedback on
http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2008/07/url-navigator-improvements.html (48 replies
so far) I hope that now I've a clearer pictures about the pros and cons.

I don't want want to go in detail too much as I must do some coding first to
be really sure that it works, but I'm sure to 90 % that I've found an approach
which you (and hopefully a lot of other people) will like. This approach won't
need an explicit up-button and won't add any clutter.

Please give me some days until I've time again for coding :-)

> > It's a similar concept like in internet-browsers :-) If you've set a
> > bookmark "KDE4 Build Howto" you don't care that the real URL is
> > "http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version".
>
> Hum... in browsers, when you click a bookmark the full url is displayed,
> not the bookmark, so it's not quite similar in fact. Anyway, I am not
> sure the comparison is really relevant because one usually do not work
> directly with the url, we use the web page content to go where we want.

Yes you are right, the comparison is not valid. I got your point and it seems
you are not alone with this opinion -> you'll get a nice solution for this in
a few days :-)