KFileDialog: "Parent Folder" button

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Thu Jul 31 08:58:08 BST 2008

Peter Penz wrote:

>  > Two click would not be required if we went "the Gtk+ way". And the
>
>  > user would get instant feedback as to were he is. No more need to
>
>  > click the button to get this information.
>
> Hm, I don't get this: From my point of view the problem is not about
> finding out where the user is. The whole idea of the URL navigator is
> based on using bookmarks as shortcuts to long paths (see e. g.
> http://dolphin.kde.org/features.html). So the user uses bookmarks as
> shortcuts to prevent having URLs like "home/peter/Documents/Pictures"
> and replace them by e. g. just "Pictures". So
> "home/peter/Documents/Pictures/2008/January" will presented as "Pictures
>  > 2008 > January".

For me the bookmark is a way to go somewhere fast, it's not a way to
hide the complexity of my folder hierarchy. So the fact that the
hierarchy is hidden is a problem for me.

> It's a similar concept like in internet-browsers :-) If you've set a
> bookmark "KDE4 Build Howto" you don't care that the real URL is
> "http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version".

Hum... in browsers, when you click a bookmark the full url is displayed,
not the bookmark, so it's not quite similar in fact. Anyway, I am not
sure the comparison is really relevant because one usually do not work
directly with the url, we use the web page content to go where we want.

Aurélien