redesign of the konqueror welcome screen

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 19:07:13 BST 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Martin Zilz wrote:
> i thought the current welcome screen of konqueror was a little out of
> style, mainly because it was bound to the plasma theme (actually to an old
> plasma theme that isn't used anymore)

yes, it wasn't updatd for 4.0. we need more hands to keep up with the pace of
change =/

> so i put together a mockup on how the
> new welcome screen could look:
>
> http://www.file-upload.net/view-1000053/startpage_konqui_curls2.png.html

i like how it uses the default background wallpaper (well, login paper =) and
it looks nice and clean.

this is something you could/should take to kde-artists at kde.org. it also affects
other apps like kmail and khelpcenter as they share some of this
infrastructure, which is in kdelibs/kdeui/about/

> this is only an svg file for now, but needs to be transformed into html /
> css / whatever is used for the welcome screen.

ys, html/css. however, it would be really nice, i think, to change the welcome
screen into an actual widget that can dynamically request the current
desktoptheme (aka "Plasma theme") to use elements from there (using
Plasma::Svg makes this trivial), and then it can be done programmatically in
each application rather than the current method of modifying bits of html and
css (ugh, ugh, ugh!)

i just haven't had the time yet to do this, and libplasma isn't yet in a place
(kdelibs) that makes this sensible.

for the immediate term, it would be great to merge something like what you
have into kdelibs/kdeui/about/ (though personally i leave the final art
tweaking to the art team, which i am merely a developer advisor to =) and i
the mid-term (4.2?) it would be awesome to work with you on turning this into
a widget that developers can use without caring about the artwork and which
you, as an artist, can modify more easily (e.g. directly via SVGs =).

as a bonus, this would mean it would automatically folllow the desktop theme
as it changes!

if you are interested, i'd be happy to work with you on this if you'd like to
become the art maintainer for the standardized about screen?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se