Major Bug in Konqueror - no network connection

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sat Jul 12 22:17:13 BST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:

>> Did you try the suggestion from comment #15, i.e. patching
>> qhostinfo_unix.cpp and disabling ipv6 in the kernel? I did improve
>> things a lot here although kio is still very unreliable for me.
>> *Something* but have changed in Qt or KDE 4 that is still not
>> identified.
>
> The patch from Roland Harnau on kde-core-devel will greatly help this. But
> it'll be applied after 4.1.0.

I like the idea of the patch but appearantly it cannot hide my general DNS
problems. What I still see is that Konqueror manages to fetch like 60-80%
of a page's images but then it starts to get reaaally slow.

Occassionally - but rather seldom - I've been seeing connection errors
from other software like svn. Saw a message like "temporary DNS failure".
So I definitely have a problem with my router or ISP (who is known for
unreliable DNS). It's just that other software copes with it much more
reliably.

I see that somebody just posted some logs to the bug report so I won't try
to produce some myself. Will do so if requested, though.

Harri.