Introduction + Dolphin architecture questions

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Thu Jul 10 16:02:27 BST 2008

Hi Adrien,

On Thursday, 10. July 2008 16:30:27 Adrien BUSTANY wrote:
> Hi,
> first of all hello everyone since it's my first message on this list.
> I'm working on the integration between Nepomuk and the various KDE tools.
> Dolphin currently has Nepomuk embedded in its side panel, for tags and
> comments. It's actually a widget, with its code in Dolphin's source
> tree. What would be nice is to have Dolphin load its side panel items
> from shared libs, i.e. to make it handle plugins. It'd be easier to
> maintain, and would make adding new items to the sidebar easier.
> Is this feature planned for one day ?

I've set Sebastian TrĂ¼g, the Nepomuk maintainer, to CC. Sebastian has provided
all the Nepomuk GUI widgets that are used inside Dolphin. AFAIK it is planned
that those widgets get moved to Nepomuk for sharing it with other
applications (I guess with KDE 4.2; Sebastian?).

There are currently no plans for Dolphin to handle plugins, as this is handled
in Konqueror already. This is no final decision, but generally speaking
Dolphin the plan is to keep Dolphin as simple as possible.

Cheers,
Peter