Dolphin + Konqueror: selecting items

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Mon Jan 28 19:48:32 GMT 2008

Hi Kevin,

On Monday, 28. January 2008 20:24:35 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le samedi 26 janvier 2008, Peter Penz a écrit :
> > Currently if the single-click setting from KDE is used, selecting items
> > requires either using the rubberband or the Ctrl/Shift-keys. I've tried
> > to bypass this restriction by blending in a toggle-button when hovering a
> > selection.
[...]
> Well, I almost like it... I somehow think that it should be the "other way
> around". The corner button being "launch" and the remaining of the area
> being "select". My rational for this, is that if I want to select a bunch
> of files I'll click of them and I have to point the right area all the
> time. It's more demanding on my hand. While you launch only one file at a
> time, so that's fine if you have to point carefully once.

Interesting :-)

> > For sure this feature can be turned off, but I'm not sure whether it
> > should be turned on per default and whether it fulfills the expectations.
> >
> > So any feedback would be very welcome!
>
> So what about going toward something like this:
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/04/icons.html

Yes, Aaron's blog entry was the origin of my patch :-) The current code can be
extended to Aaron's approach quite easy, but I wanted to take one step after
the other...

> We have two corner areas available in the icon view, we're using only one
> right now. So top-left for launching things, top-right for the context menu
> and the rest of the area for selecting could do something interesting imo.
> Of course, fading the buttons in and out would be a plus. ;-)

Damn, this Plasma-stuff sets the bar for the visual parts of applications very
high ;-) I agree: fading is a must-have...

Thanks for your feedback!
Peter