Dolphin + Konqueror: selecting items

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 19:24:35 GMT 2008

Le samedi 26 janvier 2008, Peter Penz a écrit :
> Currently if the single-click setting from KDE is used, selecting items
> requires either using the rubberband or the Ctrl/Shift-keys. I've tried to
> bypass this restriction by blending in a toggle-button when hovering a
> selection.
>
> Currently the button is invisible until hovering the item for 1 second, but
> it gets immedately visible as soon as hovering the button itself... Tricky
> to describe, please just try how it feels :-)

Well, I almost like it... I somehow think that it should be the "other way
around". The corner button being "launch" and the remaining of the area
being "select". My rational for this, is that if I want to select a bunch of
files I'll click of them and I have to point the right area all the time.
It's more demanding on my hand. While you launch only one file at a time, so
that's fine if you have to point carefully once.

> For sure this feature can be turned off, but I'm not sure whether it should
> be turned on per default and whether it fulfills the expectations.
>
> So any feedback would be very welcome!

So what about going toward something like this:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/04/icons.html

We have two corner areas available in the icon view, we're using only one
right now. So top-left for launching things, top-right for the context menu
and the rest of the area for selecting could do something interesting imo.

Of course, fading the buttons in and out would be a plus. ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."