HTTPS informative colouring of address/URI entry vs. "bright on dark" colour schemes.

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 4 18:50:32 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> Hello Konqueror developers,
>
> I just noticed, that the HTTPS informative colouring (light yellow)
> is problematic, if one has installed a inverted (i.e. bright text
> on dark background) colour scheme. I for myself have such a scheme
> set, as it puts less strain on the eyes when working a lot with
> graphics stuff (digital photography, video editing, 3D modelling).
> However it brings with it, that I cannot read the URLs of HTTPS
> connections, as I then got white text on brigt yellow in the
> address entry bar.

Yes. This is a known problem. I forgot what were George's plans about it though.

> It would be great, if it were possible to set the HTTPS informative
> background colour somewhere, or if the text colour would be set,
> too, so that the URLs stay readable.

Yeah, in view of this email, we could put it in a config file so that people don't have
to hack the sources, at least.

> P.S.: I'm not subscribed to kfm-devel at kde.org, so please CC awnsers
> to my e-mail address.
>
> P.P.S.: I'm too lazy to search the Konqueror source code for where
> the HTTPS informative colouring happens, but if someone tells me
> where to find it, I'd write a small patch, hardsetting the text
> colour to black.

The colour is defined in kdebase/konqueror/konq_combo.cc, in the kde-3.5 branch.
Looks for QColor in the file, and use 0,0,0 instead of the existing numbers there.

In trunk (kde-4.0) it's in kdebase/apps/konqueror/src/konqcombo.cpp