Contact for XEmbed work

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Wed Jan 2 18:43:47 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Mike Melanson wrote:
> This sounds like it could cause trouble with my existing KDE-based SuSE
> desktop. So I guess it will be preferable to do this in some kind of
> VMware sandbox.

You can also install to a different prefix (including in your home directory
even) by passing the --prefix option to configure.

You must then change the setting of the KDEDIRS environment variable,
preceding it with the new prefix.

i.e. if you were to use /opt/flash-kde, you'd pass --prefix=/opt/flash-kde in
the configure scripts for kdelibs and kdebase.

Before trying to run konqueror (this would probably be easiest from a
Konsole/gnome-terminal) you'd do something like:

$ export KDE3PREFIX="/opt/flash-kde"
$ export KDEDIRS="$KDE3PREFIX:$KDEDIRS"
$ export PATH="$KDE3PREFIX/bin:$PATH"
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$KDE3PREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
$ konqueror

(the LD_LIBRARY_PATH thing may not be necessary if your distribution uses
RUNPATH entries in binaries correctly).  Running konqueror from a tty should
also stop it from staying in memory (preloading) for ease of debugging.

There are various scripts out there to automatically build KDE but it's
probably easier just to run through it manually.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne