[Semi-PATCH] Dolphin - Previews in Tooltips

Simon St James kdedevel at etotheipiplusone.com
Tue Aug 19 22:11:53 BST 2008

Hi Peter,

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 20:43:10 Peter Penz wrote:

> Thanks a lot, this seems to work perfectly. I've just committed your patch
> (I've done only some minor coding style changes).

Great!

> PS: I just tried your preview-tooltips and really like them :-)

Glad to hear it; I've been missing them a great deal from KDE3 :)
Incidentally, I just received an alternative implementation from someone
(Laurens) who started working on this independently; I've asked him to
forward it to you.  He has some interesting ideas on mitigating the resizing
issues.

> I forgot: I had an idea how to bypass the resizing issue. I'd suggest that
> we move the text of the tooltip to the left and the preview to the right.
> By this we can resize the tooltip later without the problem that the text
> position changes. What do you think about this approach?

I think that's a very good idea, and has a good justification if anyone
complains that it is different to KDE3 ;)

Currently, I leverage the KFormattedBalloonTipDelegate's paint(...)
implementation which is hard-coded to draw the icon on the left, so I may
have to copy most of its paint(...) into DolphinBalloonTooltipDelegate which
is probably fine, as it's a pretty small function.  However, the style option
already contains a "direction" which doesn't seem to be honoured yet: I'll
ask Fredrik if he intends for a RightToLeft to draw the icon on the right and
whether it would be acceptable to implement this in
KFormattedBalloonTipDelegate and then hard-code this to RightToLeft in
DolphinBalloonTooltipDelegate.  Hopefully the latter approach will prove
acceptable :)

Best Wishes,
Simon