Idea: KDE-wide common context menu for files

Witold Sowa witold.sowa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:45:03 BST 2008

Peter Penz pisze:
> Am Tuesday, 19. August 2008 01:06:00 schrieb Witold Sowa:
>
>> Hi,
>> At present, there are different context menus for the same file objects
>> in Dolphin, Konqueror, folderview plasma widget or quickaccess widget.
>> I think that there should be a class in KDE API which would represent a
>> context menu for file/folder objects. Menu content would be of course
>> dependent of file type which menu refers to.
>>

> I agree that consistency is important and there are already APIs in
> kdebase/apps/libs/konq to achieve consistent context menus for files ("Open
> With"-actions, "Copy To"/"Move To"-actions, service menus, ...). For sure
> there is always room for improvements.
>
> But it was a design decision that Dolphin and Konqueror don't offer the same
> context menus, as both applications have a different target user group and a
> different function set. E. g. for Dolphins target user group the context menu
> entry "Open in New Tab" is not an often enough used action which justifies it
> to be added in the context menu. In Konqueror "Open in New Tab" in the
> context-menu is a good choice. The folderview plasma widget won't offer a
> "Open in New Tab" entry at all...
>
> The only thing what is needed from my point of view is a ruleset about the
> order of entries like Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Move To Trash etc. The Plasma
> team and the Dolphin team are in contact to bypass some minor inconsistencies
> between the menus.

What I am proposing is just a simple way to achieve that consistency and
ensure that it will be kept in the future by not yet existing (possibly
third-party) KDE applications. Such a common menu should contain only
entries which refer to file itself like Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete,
Rename, Properties etc., not to environment in which the file is
currently shown like Open In Tab, Add To Bookmarks etc. API should let
developers to add new entries to menu or even to remove single default
entries easily in order to adapt their menu to specific application.
Default content of such a menu would be partially configurable in the
KDE's system settings instead of separate settings for Dolphin,
Konqueror and whatever else.

In my opinion creating KDE-wide menu API, which would be working in
above mentioned way, will not endanger partially variety of menus in
KDEs applications, but will ensure that consistency will be kept in
menu's common elements now and _in_the_future_.

Regards,
Witek