Idea: KDE-wide common context menu for files

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Aug 19 07:28:42 BST 2008

Am Tuesday, 19. August 2008 01:06:00 schrieb Witold Sowa:
> Hi,
> At present, there are different context menus for the same file objects
> in Dolphin, Konqueror, folderview plasma widget or quickaccess widget.
> I think that there should be a class in KDE API which would represent a
> context menu for file/folder objects. Menu content would be of course
> dependent of file type which menu refers to.

I agree that consistency is important and there are already APIs in
kdebase/apps/libs/konq to achieve consistent context menus for files ("Open
With"-actions, "Copy To"/"Move To"-actions, service menus, ...). For sure
there is always room for improvements.

But it was a design decision that Dolphin and Konqueror don't offer the same
context menus, as both applications have a different target user group and a
different function set. E. g. for Dolphins target user group the context menu
entry "Open in New Tab" is not an often enough used action which justifies it
to be added in the context menu. In Konqueror "Open in New Tab" in the
context-menu is a good choice. The folderview plasma widget won't offer a
"Open in New Tab" entry at all...

The only thing what is needed from my point of view is a ruleset about the
order of entries like Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Move To Trash etc. The Plasma
team and the Dolphin team are in contact to bypass some minor inconsistencies
between the menus.

Best regards,
Peter