Konqueror configuration dialog KDE4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 16 11:40:44 GMT 2007

First I want to say that the new Konqueror 4 configuration dialog is a
tremendous improvement (and everyone knows that I am a hard grader); I
actually said "WOW" when I first saw it.

However, since it is a work in progress, I did have some comments.  I
believe in the idea that everything can be improved no matter how good
it is -- perfection is a goal which is never reached.

Notice that "File Management" is down to two items and that it includes:
"File Associations".  It appears to me, that "File Associations" (i.e.
MIME type associations) is not part of either "File Management" or "Web
Browsing" since it applies to both.  Therefore it should not be in
either category but rather, should be moved to the next higher (actually
the highest) level.  Doing so would leave "File Management" with only
one member and if this is going to continue to be the case, then "File
Management" should be eliminated and its only member (with a slightly
different name) should also be moved to the highest level.

The above would mean that the only category was "Web Browsing" which
would also be eliminated.  It appears that this could be replaced by
more specific categories since the current content of "Web Browsing" is
really too heterogeneous to be in a single category.  E. G. some of it
is for HTML pages (which might be reached with something other than
HTTP) and some of it is for the whole internet (not just the "web").
So, if categories would improve usability, new categories could be
created.  The use of categories should be considered.  Is this list
really long enough that it needs to be a tree rather than just a list?

I also wondered a bit more about "File Associations" which is not really
part of Konqueror -- Konqueror is only one member of the set which it
covers, so I would consider removing it from: "Settings -> Configure
Konqueror" and add it to "Settings -> File Associations".  I think that
it should be available in the "Settings" menu of every application which
needs it and available from the DeskTop.  This is a matter of
conveniences to the user so that they don't have to bother opening
KControl (what ever it is going to be called) to change a file association.

So, that is my $0.02 and just my ideas for discussion, not a final
answer on what to do.

--
JRT