kfm-devel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 20

level1 premiersullivan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:58:44 BST 2007

Hey guys, as a former windows user I think I might as well clear this up.  IE6
and the file browser (called "Windows Explorer") are actually the same
program.  If you put a local file into the location bar of IE6, it will
magically turn into windows explorer.  Very few windows user realize this and
it certianly shouldn't be compared to konqueror, which attempts to seamlessly
blend browsing, viewing and managing of both web and files.

The windows file browser always opened files in seperate viewer even though it
clearly *could* open them embedded using the IE6 technology.  Honestly, I
don't think there's very much to learn from IE6.

This all changed when IE7 came out.  IE7 is completely seperate from the file
browser (which itself changed greatly in vista).  IE7 is actually a pretty
good browser.  Its fast, and has all of the features of firefox, even
extensions, and firefox users on windows are starting to move back to IE,
perhaps for the operating system integration.  As for security, I really
don't know.

I like the idea of konqueror merging file browsing and web content, but I
guess each to his own.  Hopefully, the following promises will be kept:

1.Konqueror will still get most of the benefits of dolphin improvements
through kparts, and konqueror development will not suffer.
2.Dolphin will be powerful and full featured, including things like tabs
(because there's no reason not to include them)
3.konqueror will not lose useful functionality like the up button.

By the way, konqueror can be configured (through a file) to present a close
button where the icon is on each tab when the mouse hovers over it.  I think
this should be defualt, or at least configurable.

In case your wondering who the heck I am, I'm Conor Sullivan.  I'd like to
contribute a bit to kde 4... has any progress been make on the file size view
for dolphin?  If there is no support for this yet, I'd like to start
implementing it as my first venture into kde programming.  I emailed Peter
Penz about this.  Can I contribute?