Dolphin file manager usability

lbell at tsc4.com lbell at tsc4.com
Tue Jul 17 14:05:07 BST 2007

Hello, I was playing with kde4 alpha 2 Dolphin version and I have some
notes about it.
I know that there is a near feature freeze, but if someone finds some
point interesting enough, I can do some work in a separate Dolphin branch
under your guidance.

Groups management
1) How about to have in the group header, items count and size, the
minimum information to give to the user an idea of the contained items?
2) Can we open and close the group by clicking on a + sign next to it ?
3) If the group is closed a click can select all the contained items
4) can we open and close all the groups  with a single key?

Other views
 1) Why not to have a grouping in the column view?
 2) Why not to have a grouping in the detail view?

In some configuration windows like 'Configuring shortcuts' there are
treeviews that doesn't open to show entirely the labels. The labels must
be shown by enlarging the window if it is necessary. This is a small note
but it makes a big usability improvement.

Best Regards and thank you for all the work you made.

Luca Bellonda