Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 17 05:45:46 GMT 2007

hi Michael ...

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 20:58, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> A while back there was a discussion of creating a separate
> file manager from Konqueror, among other enhancements.
> Here is an article by a Japanese user that reviews many
> features from that discussion:

many people love konqueror. i'm one of them. it's an application that serves a
certain type of user very well, even though it could be improved.
unfortunately, that certain type of user is a limited % of the overall user
base. there is a real need for a more focussed, easier to use and more
streamlined application for managing files and nothing else; there's also
probably need for a similar web browser.

> * Easily viewing files accessed via multiple protocols
>    along with the web.

minus the full featured web browsing, being able to view files via multiple
protocols is already in dolphin.

> * The split window capability

dolphin has this, albeit in a more limited fashion.

> I agree with the authors views of what makes Konqueror
> special.  Both of us are long time Konqueror users (I
> have been using it daily for over 8 years).  We both seem
> prefer to avoid the dichotomy of 2 applications to browse
> content.  And both seem to really appreciate the split
> window capability in combination with tabs (especially on
> larger displays).

the good news is that konqueror, dolphin and the file dialog will all share an
immense amount of code, so features will travel well between them.

the even better news is that there is no plan at this point to delete
konqueror. the expectation at this point is to keep it as a power user tool
with the simpler versions being the defaults from, for instance, the panel
shortcuts.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se