distributed bookmarking

Robert Penz robert at penz.name
Fri Jan 12 12:42:10 GMT 2007

Hi!

I'm not on the list so please answer in cc to me. thx.

I want to write a software which allows me to have my bookmarks synchronized
between my various PCs. As I'm using mostly Konqueror (except sites that
don't work with it) I want to write it in the beginning for it, if there is
not allready a software which does following:

- synchronizing the bookmarks in the background. e.g. a new bookmark is
visible within minutes on the other running PCs

- the user should not see any differences to normal bookmarks, its just also
on the other PC too.

- the synchronizing is done over a server based on standard protocols like
webdav or SOAP so it works fine behind a company firewall/proxy.

- the clients poll the server or keep an connection open

As I'm not really a C++ programmer (python is my language of choice) and to be
more browser independent I would like to make a daemon/periodical called
script which looks at the bookmarks.xml and searches for changes and
synchronizes them.

- So the question is how can I inform the running konqueror processes that the
should reread the file?

- And can I lock the file during writing and konqueror is fine with it?

- Does Konqueror lock the file before writing?

ps: If someone is already writing or thinking of writing a plugin for
konqueror I'm happy to help with the server part/interface
specification/synchronization algorithms. Doing an extra client program is
just because I don't have c++ knowledge, the time to get into the konqueror
code and at a later point to do the same for firefox.

--
Regards,
Robert