HTML5 work

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Apr 30 11:19:01 BST 2007

Hello,

as most people here certainly know already, the W3C are looking into the
successor to HTML 4, which will probably be called HTML 5 and will probably
be based on the WHATWG specs (Web Applications and Web Forms 2.0), votes are
pending.

Is anyone from KDE participating in the HTML WG? From my understanding, the
group model is diverging from previous W3C efforts in that it is much more
open and seeking input from more people.
There are both technical and political discussions going on. I think a proper
representation of KDE would be needed in both.
* Technically, because we have KHTML, Quanta+, KXForms and a lot of things in
KDE which are potentially affected by the drafts.
* Politically, because parts of the HTML spec will talk about plugin
infrastructure, which might lead to the requirement of proprietary plugins.

Given that KDE is a huge blob of people, it seems wise to me that those who're
also concerned about what is going on will join the HTML WG. From a quick
glance I couldn't find any known name on the participants list, this is why
I'm asking here.
Personally I will not be able to devote much time to implementation-related
topics.

Josef