khtml for Jabber

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sun Sep 17 15:50:37 BST 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 18:54, Francisco Joaquín Rodríguez Prados wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It's been a while since we want to improve the chat window in the Psi
> [1] jabber client. And of course, one of our options is supporting
> Adium themes - like Kopete or Gtalk already do.
>
> At this point is where KHTML comes into play. As you may already know,
> Psi is a cross-platform client programmed in Qt. That's why we thought
> of adapting KTHML to be as much as possible kde-libs independent.
>
> The thing is we do not have the resources to maintain a fork of KHTML,
> so the first idea was creating a library with KHTML and the smallest
> subset of kde-libs needed for it to work. Keeping of course both trees
> synchronized, to have full code compatibility.
>
> I tried compiling KHTML from scratch (creating a new Qt project), but
> short after I started I heard about the port of the whole Apple WebKit
> back to Qt4. Which was a pretty good new: it sounded like a pretty
> kdelibs-independent version of WebKit. However, we have heard no
> further news on that project.
>
> The main question now is the status of that backport. We are quite
> interested on creating a parallel project of KHTML: synchronized, code
> compatible and as much kdelibs independent as possible. The Qt4
> backport of WebKit was maybe the key, or at least a good starting
> point. However, it would be fine if we had to start a new branch of
> KHTML from scratch.
>
> Creating a Qt-based HTML engine would be positive not only for the Psi
> project, but also for the Qt community.
>
> I would be glad to hear your opinions, hints or suggestions.
>
> Best regards,

You may be interested in the konqueror embedded project (kdenox, in the KDE
SVN repository).

While its main purpose is to offer a browser for embedded devices, it
reimplements the minimum subset of kdelibs needed to make the khtml kpart
useful on its own.

Looking forward, anyway, why is it so important to work independantly from
kdelibs? With KDE4, it should be possible t rely on kdelibs on any platform
where Qt has been ported.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //