khtml for Jabber

Francisco Joaquín Rodríguez Prados prados at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 17:54:12 BST 2006

Hello all,

It's been a while since we want to improve the chat window in the Psi
[1] jabber client. And of course, one of our options is supporting
Adium themes - like Kopete or Gtalk already do.

At this point is where KHTML comes into play. As you may already know,
Psi is a cross-platform client programmed in Qt. That's why we thought
of adapting KTHML to be as much as possible kde-libs independent.

The thing is we do not have the resources to maintain a fork of KHTML,
so the first idea was creating a library with KHTML and the smallest
subset of kde-libs needed for it to work. Keeping of course both trees
synchronized, to have full code compatibility.

I tried compiling KHTML from scratch (creating a new Qt project), but
short after I started I heard about the port of the whole Apple WebKit
back to Qt4. Which was a pretty good new: it sounded like a pretty
kdelibs-independent version of WebKit. However, we have heard no
further news on that project.

The main question now is the status of that backport. We are quite
interested on creating a parallel project of KHTML: synchronized, code
compatible and as much kdelibs independent as possible. The Qt4
backport of WebKit was maybe the key, or at least a good starting
point. However, it would be fine if we had to start a new branch of
KHTML from scratch.

Creating a Qt-based HTML engine would be positive not only for the Psi
project, but also for the Qt community.

I would be glad to hear your opinions, hints or suggestions.

Best regards,

Fran Rodríguez.

[1] http://www.psi-im.org

--