Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 30 23:28:30 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 7:26, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Saturday 28 October 2006 01:20, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >  - navigation (breadcrumbing, drop zones, integrated search)
>
> Nice idea, but I don't see any reason to replace the locationbar.
> Typing in a location is the fastest way to get to place

this is not true in all use cases. it's only guarantee-ably true when:

 - the user is descending (upwards and sideways navigation is often slower)
 - the user knows where they are going

there have been usability studies done on these things, though primarily
(exclusively?) in the web sphere. i have yet to read one that actually found
them flawed; all i've come across online note they are beneficial, though
that benefit is impacted by positioning.

there was also some usability testing done on such a widget at dublin. the
weaknesses found there are currently avoided by the dolphin implementation,
as i understand it.

currently i'm lining up guinea pigs for usability tests this week of the
dolphin breadcrumb. i'll let you all know how that goes and then we can move
even further from conjecture on the matter.

> and we for this very simple reason it would be folly to throw it away.

brilliant, another person who comments without trying it out. i'll toss this
one to yoda.

"throwing it away we are not!" says yoda. "letting the user switch between
breadcrumb and editable are we, as well do we let them choose their default.
the force may be strong with you so you use an editable bar, mmmh? but most
weak are with the force. trees and URIs ergonomic they are not. them we give
the breadcrumb."

> So instead of this HELL*-inspired breadcrumb bar,
> * read GNOME

this kind of reactionary crap really ought to add to the SPAM rating of an
email so it can be automatically filed where it belongs. that said, you can
add Vista and most websites of the world to that list, among others.

> we should have
> locationbar with active parts so you can click on any part of the path, and
> drag to any parts of it.

then you end up dealing with appropriate click-drag distances for editing.
there lie dragons. and for the minor difference this presents from a dual
mode bar i don't see the point, though i do see the pitfalls.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se