Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 30 23:04:15 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 7:15, Martin Konold wrote:
> I gave dolphin a try and I am not convinced.

=)

> E.g. when I navigate to / I can't do this via a button or by clicking on
> icons.

perhaps you're using an old (stable?) version? the version i have from svn
allows me to either:

 - click on the bookmark button in the url nav bar and select Root
OR
 - click in the Root entry in the bookmarks sidebar

(note: sidebars in dolphin's svn are very new and waaay up in the air right
now. mostly it's tossing about ideas right now and experimenting with things)

> The next thing is that dolphin tries to be smart and hides most
> directories. E.g in / I can on my kubuntu system only see

yeah, this is a kubuntu issue as others have pointed out =/

> This selection is a very bad idea. E.g. me navigating to /tmp should be
> easily doable.

agreed.

> After enabling the access to the hidden files (only available via menu not
> icons)

which isn't unreasonable IMHO. why do people need quicker access to hidden
files?

> I get presented all hidden files and directories including those
> starting with  a dot. Then when navigating to /tmp and back to / it forgot
> about my selection again.

agreed .. i'll whip up a patch to make "show hidden files" sticky.

> In practice this meand that navigating from $HOME
> to / and then to /tmp is not a reversable action. (The users needs to
> explicitly enable the access to the "hidden" entries again and again.
>
> IMHO this is a typical but lame attempt to make the UI simpler.

yes, it's an abortive (if understandable) attempt to make the UI simpler by
kubuntu + an implementation issue that is easily improved in dolphin. not a
show stopper in either way.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se