Share/sync bookmarks and cookies between Konqueror and Firefox?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Oct 14 09:21:08 BST 2006

M. Fioretti wrote:
>In other words, I'd like to know if there is any way to make Konqueror
>and Firefox use the *same* bookmark and cookie files, so that the two
>browsers are always configured (from this point of view) in the same
>way without manually importing and exporting stuff every other day.

While it is technically possible to do it, in practice it's only feasible
worth doing it if the Firefox developers are willing to modify some of
their code too. Konqueror uses IPC to notify different running instances
of changes to the bookmark file: Firefox would have to cooperate by
sending the same IPC signals.

The cookies file gets more complicated: Konqueror doesn't access it
directly, but via a centralised process (kcookiejar). This avoids the
need for a notification, but it's possible to make kcookiejar cooperate
with an external process. It would be much nicer if Firefox simply used
kcookiejar for its cookies instead...

>How can this be done? Is it possible to do it _without_ hacking the
>source code, that is only using symlinks, configuration/environment
>variables, Perl or other scripts (manually or by cron) which convert
>from one format to another, etc...

No. The file formats are different. However, they can be converted to/fro
one another. You can, thus, have a script that syncs one's file from the
other's every N minutes.

KDE's files are:
$KDEHOME/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
$KDEHOME/share/apps/kcookiejar/cookies

Firefox's files are:
~/.mozilla/firefox/<something>/bookmarks.html
~/.mozilla/firefox/<something>/cookies.txt
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358