Dolphin roadmap

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Nov 28 07:18:37 GMT 2006

Hello Benjamin,

> 1.3 Are you moving from being a list based file manager to a tree?

Currently Dolphin offers no tree view and there are no plans yet for this. My
personal opinion is that by providing commander-like split view in
combination with the URL navigator a tree view is not needed. Anyhow we did
not discuss this yet and we are open for any input.

We decided to do future discussions at #kfm (irc.kde.org) -> if it's ok for
you I'll let you know if we meet again, as I'm aware that you have very good
input especially on the view topics :-)

> You
> mentioned Fredrik's itemdelegate, can you give some more details on this?
> You seemed very proud of your list way of looking at the file manager.

I did not get in contact with Fredrik yet, David (Faure) just mentioned that
Fredrik is working on this topic; I'll contact Fredrik at the end of this
week. I just want to create some mockups before so that we have a starting
point for a discussion.

> Anyone know of a valid reason why one might want a "loadable sidebars"?

During the discussion we found no valid reason :-) We even had some doubts
because of getting a "loadable sidebar hell". We dropped the idea of having
loadable sidebars at the moment and will concentrate on building some
(non-loadable) prototypes and do some usability testing on them.

> 1.7 seemed very slim.  Search is a key aspect of the future of file
> managers. It shouldn't be some put off thing that someone else is working
> on for something else, it should be in house.

I agree, but currently we have not enough resources to concentrate on all
topics in parallel :-(

> Was HAL integration, scripting, or tool integration brought up at the
> meeting?

No. After 2 hours we all got hungry :-)

Cheers,
Peter