Nice antialiased fonts in KDE 4?

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:36:49 GMT 2006

Hello,

El Domingo, 12 de Noviembre de 2006 14:07, Thiago Macieira escribió:
> Edulix wrote:
> >kde-devel at sinpalo:~$ dbus-launch
> > DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-KfiFXKZNwh,guid=351757
> >456a4d4f4c2a9d2331da95ff00
> >DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=31081
>
> This is not how you run dbus-launch. It's supposed to be:
> eval `dbus-launch`

Good to know. That's all new to me

> But, starting with D-Bus 0.94, you no longer need to do that. D-Bus
> starting should be automatic:
> >kde-devel at sinpalo:~$ kwrite
> >D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine
> > uuid: Failed to open "/home/kde-devel/kde/etc/dbus-1/machine-id": No
> > such file or directory
> >See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
>
> This is it trying to auto-start the daemon. But you seem not to have cared
> about proper installation nor read the manual.
> Running "dbus-uuidgen --ensure" is a post-installation required pass.
> (Since it's post-installation, "make install" won't do it).

*touch* RTFM & RTFOutput!
It's my fault, I should have read the output, no excuse.

Though I don't think it's fair to pretend people should read the manual  of
everything they install when you know that most probably they followed the
howto which didn't mention that missing step.I used the howto [1]. I also
know about this other howto [2]. In the later one, that post-instalation step
was added 10 days ago, but I had read it only once and before that date. And
I decided to use the first one, which didn't mention dbus-uuidgen --ensure.

Now both howtos are updated so new kde developers should not have this
problem ;-).

> >Continuing with a bogus made-up machine UUID, which may cause
> > problems.
> > kwrite: FATAL: Session bus not found

Now I'm getting this:

kde-devel at sinpalo:~$ ~/kde/bin/kwrite
kwrite: FATAL: Session bus not found
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kwrite path = <unknown> pid = 6922
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly

Now with a genuine, non-bogus machine UUID :P

(And still without antialiasedfonts, which is the main problem)

Once more,
          Edulix.

--
[1] http://developernew.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version