Suggestion for Konquerer developers and delivering "stripped" releases

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Nov 11 09:48:05 GMT 2006

Kimberly Lazarski wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 20:50 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I have no problem doing that, as long as said user provides feedback
>> with grace. I have no interest in receiving feedback that is baseless,
>> swears or in no way helps improve the software.
>
>Keep in mind that the users are not the professionals, but the
>developers are (even if volunteers). Attitude is one of the things that
>has blocked ReiserFS/Reiser 4 from mass acceptance - even if Reiser
>offers some great advantages, Hans' approach to trying to get it
>included in the mainline kernel has not been very diplomatic.

Exactly. Attitude is important in BOTH sides: from the requester and from
the developer who replies.

>> If someone drops to a low level when writing an email, he can expect
>> replies in kind.
>
>He may have sunk to a low level, but that does not mean the KDE team has
>to.

Agreed, and the KDE team SHOULD NOT sink to that level. Instead,
educatedly reply and request that the request be rephrased. We don't have
to put up with the attitude.

>There are two better options:
>
>1. Accept the feedback, replying without acknowledging the crude
>comments, or at least address his approach independently of the
>legitimate feedback he provided
>
>2. Simply ignore the submission and let someone else respond if so
>motivated.

Aye.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358