Konqueror 4

Mark Rose kde at markrose.ca
Sat Nov 4 00:06:48 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 3:03 pm, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 04:08 pm, Mark Rose wrote:

> > > Re the more vertical space--you're right, but an alternative would be
> > > to overlay the two lines, so the hot spots were actually on the text of
> > > the path (i.e., /usr/local/bin).
> >
> > How, then, do you click to edit?
>
> Good point, I wasn't thinking about the need to edit the path.  I still
> like the idea, and will think about ways to edit--first dumb thought maybe
> switch to an edit mode?  And maybe a right click to switch to the edit
> mode?

That's perhaps the most confusing part of the VI editor and would break all
the paradigms users have about text fields.

> I guess I can imagine myself clicking an existing path (directory) to go
> somewhere far more often than I'd want to edit to change the
> path--especially if I had the chance to have several such paths visible at
> once, and I could click in any directory in any one of those paths to jump
> to that directory.

I think the problem is already optimally solved with the Up button. Maybe the
Up button widget (and Back and Forward) can be modified to automatically drop
down a list of locations when hovered over. A History button may also be
useful to show locations cut from the back/forward list when the user goes
back and forward on a different path.

Mark