Konqueror 4

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 3 09:28:11 GMT 2006

On Fri Nov 3 2006, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 09:24, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2006 00:04 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > yes, it's an abortive (if understandable) attempt to make the UI simpler
> > > by kubuntu + an implementation issue that is easily improved in dolphin.
> > > not a show stopper in either way.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > But I am still not convinced how to explain the subtle differences of a
> > browser and a manager to users in an intuitive way?
> >
> > (I regularily experience secretaries who are doing file management using
> > the word file dialog!)
>
> Yes, I know that too, and it's not too rare.
> Can't we get rid of the file open dialog and use konqy for that too ?

No. But we can make konq^H^H^H^Hdolphin and kfiledialog share as much code
as possible, by having the dirmodel, the itemdelegate, the file operations, the popupmenu,
the undo/redo support, and so on, in kio. A dialog is not a mainwindow (where's the OK
button in konqueror?), so let's keep the filedialog a dialog. But yes kfiledialog is definitely
on my radar and is the main reason for putting so much of the core things needed
by the file manager into kio. So from a user's point of view this will be almost like
"using konqy for that too". Except it won't be called konqy :)