Konqueror 4

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 09:51:44 GMT 2006

Hello,

Le jeudi 2 novembre 2006 10:31, Martin Konold a écrit :
> BUT
> ===
>
> A traditional filesystem like on an USB stick or on a ftp server is
> _already_ hirarchical. Up and Back Actions are _well_ defined in
> traditional filesystems. (Yes there are also unidirectional links in unix
> filesystems). Offering a proper URL/path is trivial with filesystems.

Except that it gets non trivial for users to reach USB sticks and ftp servers.
You have to use bookmarks or the like to make it convenient and suddenly
break the hierarchical structure... Interesting it looks just like on the
web. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying breadcrumb is a silver bullet, but it looks
like a clear improvement to me even for filesystems. That said we for sure
want to make use of it wisely since part of the path shown in the breadcrumb
is sometimes close to the underlying filesystem. I think that generally the
end of the path will match the filesystem structure... the start of the path
is another story.

> Conclusion: BC are a big improvement for web applications but for
> filesystem "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and don't "improve for the
> worse".

Sorry, but currently I consider it broken so it calls for a fix. media:/ and
system:/ were obviously not the right ones because of interoperability, even
if otherwise I'm happy with the navigation model they introduced. And
moreover breadcrumb could become an improvement for the best if we manage to
keep a convenient navigation model like with media:/ and system:/ while
removing the interoperability issues.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."