Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 1 16:14:34 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 4:34, Edulix wrote:
> simple sudoku in Qt4, and this summer I toyed with "KDE RSS Manager" for
> KDE3 although it's in a very early stage as it was only a test-bed to me.

you'll have your first user -right here- when/if you release it =)

> * A new bookmarks system
>
> I don't like too much the hierarchical bookmarks systems. I find it
> difficult and a bit time consuming to orderthe items

ditto.

> But that is far from ideal. The bookmarks menu turned out being
> impracticable because the large list  of items and the loading time of the
> sidebar is considerable. We want to improve this situation. We want to
> implement a new bookmark system which uses tags instead of hierarchies,
> which searches also across the stored content of the pages, and  which must
> be faster. Also it will be key to be able to sync with del.ici.us, google
> bookmarks and similar places.
>
> Is anyone working on this?

no. the bookmarks are largely unmaintained in kde4, and it is widely
recognized to be in need of a complete re-vamping. this alone would be a
terrific contribution to kde4.

> There are various search engines "in the table"
> for kde 4: Nepomuk, tenor, ?, ... what do you recomend? Any ideas?

it looks like a combination of strigi+nepomuk probably, but the most
interesting work right now is a set of interfaces being worked on by Jos
(strigi guy) to abstract away the back end details so we'll just have
some "find me this" classes in kdelibs somewhere (if everything goes well and
according to plan =)

> * Improving session management
>
> When konqueror crashes, which unfortunatenely some times happens, session
> is lost. I'm not the only one [2].

there is a crash recovery plugin in kde-addons for konqi.

> Also, maybe every thursday sometimes you
> want to read teletext for all the TV channels you can see, and don't want
> to waste time openning the corresponding teletext.com pages all the time.
> The solution is implementing some session manager as for example opera
> does. You can save sessions to open them later, and last session can be
> restored when konqi crashed.

this could be cool though =) would depend largely on the UI for it, but i
could certainly see using it. in fact, i already do this to some extent by
having folders of bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar. i right-click on them
and select "open folder in tabs" to open up related sets of urls i commonly
go to (e.g. "open source news")

> Some other improvements, including:
> * Recycle bin icon easily accesible to recover recetly closed tabs. And
> also a shortcut available.

that would be quite nice, yes. one of opera's features i miss.

> * Stdying how to improve the performance of the adress bar.Try to enter and
> url, and then try to erase some end characters  with <back> button.
> Sometimes it's not snappy.. and must be some way to fix it

=)

> * Easier way to Clean privacy data like in Firefox,

there is a Privacy control panel, but it's not integrated with Konqueror where
one might expect to find it.

> history of the address bar nor  anywhere. Also this could lead to working
> in the new preferences.. window for the "browser only" version of
> konqueror. Because getting that right is essential

++agreed;

> * Mouseover Preview on tabs
> Well this is a copy from other web browsers, but hey wouldn't it be nice?

=)

i'll probably just echo what others here will say, but: welcome to the
project; can't wait to see the patches you come up with ... and feel free to
ask questions as they come up. there are a lot of people on this list that
know konqi inside and out (much, much better than i =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se