Enhancing Konqueror

Pierre D. pinaraf at robertlan.eu.org
Fri Mar 17 21:48:45 GMT 2006

Le Vendredi 17 Mars 2006 20:01, Charles A. Landemaine a écrit :
> Hello,
Hi

I'm not a KDE developer, and I'm not sure for the KDE version where the
features were added...
> here's a list of features I suggest could be added to Konqueror:
>
>  - A Wand: Click a wand icon, and Konqueror auto-fills for you the
> form with your login and password and submits the form automatically
> (pretty neat)
Since KDE 3.2, using kwallet, by default.

>  - A Google/Wikipedia search field next to the location bar such as in
> Opera or Firefox.
Useless (use the web shortcuts in the adress bar : gg, wp...), but available
since KDE 3.4, by default.

>  - Make the .html handled by default by Konqueror so that when you
> click a link, the page doesn't load in Kate.
?
Since KDE ... 2 ? by default.

>  - A Session-saver: You can save the current session with the open
> tabs, and re-open these tabs later on. Also you can auto-save current
> session on exit so that if you close Konqueror and re-open it, you
> don't loose the last pages you visited
Don't know

>  - Use more cache memory: When you hit "Back" or "Forward", Konqueror
> doesn't need to reload the pages. Just reload from cache, and it
> becomes as fast as Opera.
It's not that easy.

>  - Close tab button should be on the tab (on the right), and not in
> the corner, it's more convenient
Why ? It takes more room...

>  - Web site icon should be on the tab on the right
Why ? It's illogical: icons are on the left in any KDE app, why does konqueror
needs a different behaviour ?

>  - New tab button
I don't know

>  - Open new windows in new tabs
Available since KDE 3.3

>  - Default smart pop up blocker
Since KDE 3.5

>  - Authorized pop ups open in new window
Same as above ?
>  - Home URL should be blank
It's only your settings !
>  - Mouse gestures like Opera (I'm missing them so much)
Available in ANY KDE app since KDE 3.2. Look at khotkeys. by default.
>  - Activate previous used tab when closing the current tab
Since KDE 3.4

>  - Disable "Focus Window" in JS
I don't know
>  - Web shortcuts: add 'g' for Google, add also 'pbi' to look for
> applications on the PBIDir
Since before KDE 3.3, by default.
>  - Use cache whenever possible
Configurable since before KDE 3.1, by default.
>  - Dock the download manager into Konqueror (having the download
> manager poping up is extremely annoying).
Not available
>  - Toggle on/off style-sheet for current page
I don't know
>  - Switch user-agent for current page (for web sites that reject Konqueror)
Available since KDE 3.2, by default.
>  - Support for AJAX version of Gmail:
> http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser
Available since KDE 3.4 (or 3.5 ?)
Only switch user agent to mozilla, and insult google BTW...