kdom and khtml integration

Nikolas Zimmermann zimmermann at kde.org
Sun Mar 5 21:10:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

> > you may have misunderstood something. There won't be a KDOM
> > in kdelibs at all - we will integrate within khtml.
>
> I am bewildered by what you write. I've now three or four times tried to
> make us take a close look at this monolitihic vs modularized issue. I've
> not objected to anything, all I've said is let's discuss this, let's
> analyze this, let's bring in all our different views, requirements and
> competences on this.

I've spent the last months (!) evaluating several possible solutions
with Eric, Maciej, Maksim etc. - you want to discuss stuff, we already
discussed in _length_ for ages.

> This is pretty much all I know: the reason to build a monotlithic library
> is a performance gain which outruns that all other applications that
> doesn't need SVG/HTML rendering gets increased startup time for no reason
> and an increased memory consumption that scales linearly with document size
> for no reason. I haven't seen an analysis concluding why all other
> solutions apart from building a monolithic library fail.
[...]
> Couldn't you describe exactly what problematic areas you think exist, and
> why the various modularized approaches fail, according to your opinion? I
> think many would appreciate if you did that.

I'm really too exhausted to describe it to you again, as I've tried it
at least 3+ times. I have numerous of reasons for this step.

You don't really think I drop year's of work (kdom, ksvg2, etc..) for
no reason, do you? I just do not want to spend time discussing things
with you (with mostly: no results!!!) where I already discussed these
things for ages with other ppl.

One last word on that topic:
Rob & me write a mail to kfm-devel, that we want to integrate with
khtml. The feedback was quite nice & constructive. And all you do
is trying to force us into the "integrated" vs. "modularized" discussion,
where we already decided to go the "integrated" way. Sorry that you
didn't notice, that we have had these discussions on #ksvg since quite
some months. - -

A big sorry to all kfm-devel readers, to disturb your time with such
"private fights" - that was the last comment from me on that topic.

Bye
 Bye
  Niko