making fallback access keys configurable

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 3 13:35:32 GMT 2006

Will, I fully agree.

To clarify my earlier comment, the reason I implied that F8 was being
suggested as a "modifier" here is twofold.  One, I assumed (perhaps
wrongly) that in the absence of StickyKeys, the Control key (which is
normally understood to be a modifier key) was resulting in the access
keys appearing only while Control was pressed down.  If the Control key
is being used as a "toggle", i.e. "press/release" of control turns
Access Keys on and off, then I would suggest that this violates the
usual user expectation of how modifier keys like Control, Alt, and Shift
work, and therefore is a dubious idea.  If Control for access keys act
in the normal "modifier" way, i.e. access keys were only displayed and
active while Control is held down, then a Sticky Keys user can still use
them; how many key presses it takes depends on the implementation
details of AccessKeys.  Careful implementation could ensure that
StickyKeys users could make use of these keys with only two keystrokes
(but perhaps that implementation-detail discussion should be taken
offline; email me if you want to discuss).

If on the other hand, you want Access Keys to be a "toggled state" for
all users, using something other than a modifier key makes sense.  The
concern I would have about using something like F8 is that, as Will
suggests, ease of reaching the keys has important accessibility
implications.  In such a case, it might be preferable to keep the
toggled state on _after_ an access key has been pressed, to reduce the
keystroke count required for users who make frequent use of such keys.

But again, as Will says, we need to bring clinicians into this
discussion, which probably means going outside the developer mailing
lists :-)

regards

Bill