making fallback access keys configurable

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Fri Mar 3 11:04:47 GMT 2006

Hello Bill,

On Friday 03 March 2006 11:43, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hi Olaf/All:
>
> Having worked on keyboard navigation issues for Gnome, mozilla, etc. for
> the past 5 years, I agree with your points, except for the suggestion
> about F8.  Using function keys as modifiers is a very bad idea, and poor
> from an accessibility standpoint.  A 'standard' modifier should be used,
> consistent with the rest of the desktop.
> [...]

To my knowledge are talking about a keyboard shortcut for turning on the
access keys. Once they are turned on, you see the a number of tooltips
which describe the keys you need to press in order to use one of the
access keys.

In other words,  for activating the access key "a" you have to:
1. Press and release "Control" (possibly multiple times if sticky keys is
enabled). After that, the tooltips are visible.
2. Type "a". The access key is activated and the tooltips disappear.

If we switch to some other shortcut (let us say F8) you have to:
1. Type F8. After that, the tooltips are visible.
2. Type "a". The access key is activated and the tooltips disappear.

Can you please explain why you would prefer to use a modifier key?

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Member of KDE's Technical Working Group
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project