making fallback access keys configurable

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 28 18:23:37 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 07:49, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>   Oh, really? So this is only about the fallbacks? So you, or those most
> folks, can actually name at least 3 sites that define accesskeys? I bet

kde.org, linuxtoday.com are the ones i use on a regular basis ... but it's
true that few websites provide access keys

> that if most sites actually bothered to do that the problem would be
> exactly the same. And there already is a config option for turning off
> accesskeys completely.

i'm aware of that. the issue is that i do use them where they are defined. the
"spray the screen with shortcuts" is ugly and generally ruins the sites that
do offer them for me. the point is not to offer a keyboard shortcut for all
100 links on a page, but to offer shortcuts to the most important links.

if one is looking at it from the perspective of a keyboard-only experience,
then the fallbacks are nice.

perhaps this needs to be moved to openusability.org

>   And, as Coolo already said, the string freeze is active again, so
> changing the shortcut now is not an option :-/.

yes. perhaps this is a kde4 thing at this point. doing it right this time.

>  > >  > in future i think it would make sense to add this into the
>  > >  > accessibility world of kde much as we do with slow keys, etc ....
>  > >
>  > >   But unlike slow keys and other things from the accessibility world
>  > > this is not accessibility-only feature just because it's called
>  > > accesskeys. It's
>  >
>  > accessibility features can be useful for more than the physically
>  > impaired.
>
>   Right, but that's not what I wanted to say. Putting accesskeys next to
> slow keys is like putting shortcuts there.

not really. these fallback access keys are a programmatic, automatic
"enhancement" to content to allow alternative (e.g. non-mouse) navigation. if
that's not "accessibility" i don't know what is =)

this is different from keyboard shortcuts which are a set of interface
features defined by the "content provider" (the application developer). this
does start getting into the topic of what accessibility is, and my suggestion
that "accessibility" is a poor catch-all word for a realm of technologies
that the disabled have been primarily interested in but which are often
broadly useful.

--
Aaron J. Seigo