making fallback access keys configurable

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Feb 28 10:43:58 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 23:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> i'm sure you've hit CTRL in konqi and seen the billion access keys popup up
> all over the page. better yet is when it happens in kmail ;)
>
> attached is a patch that disables fallback keys by default, but makes them
> configurable. i'd like to commit this for 3.5.2 as well as to trunk/

 I think the problem is rather the "hit Ctrl" than the "see accesskeys popups"
part and your patch doesn't fix that. Go to a page that actually bothers to
define accesskeys and you have it again. IMHO the proper solution should be
creating a normal shortcut for it instead of this specific Ctrl handling
which makes it way too easy to trigger. E.g. F12 seems unused. The new string
could possibly even quality for the current string un-freeze.

> in future i think it would make sense to add this into the accessibility
> world of kde much as we do with slow keys, etc ....

 But unlike slow keys and other things from the accessibility world this is
not accessibility-only feature just because it's called accesskeys. It's
potentionally usable (and useful) for everybody. Minus bugs of course, but
show me something that's perfect.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer