AW: [patch] load images delayed

Tobias Anton tobias at ke.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Feb 26 22:05:05 GMT 2006

Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2006 21:40 schrieb Koos Vriezen:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:46:47PM +0100, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Dnia piątek, 24 lutego 2006 15:44, Tobias Anton napisał:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > attached is a patch that modifies KHTML's image loading behaviour:
image
is
> > > merely a proof-of-concept, designed for integration into conqueror
> > > embedded and I don't aim at getting this very patch into the KDE
> > > repository, but I'd like to have it reviewed and discussed.
> >
> > Didn't test it but it is interesting patch. Could be used in
> > main branch - switch behaviour according  to speed of
> > connection (even on dial-up).

If we only had a reliable way to determine the network speed...

> An additional heuristic might be to also account for image sizes (could
> be scaled of course). Eg. for smaller than 32x32+1, load them earlier.

This patch minimizes the number of bytes read before the
page is fully readable, what happens after that is less important.
Anyway, I'm not sure whether that heuristics is desirable at all. I'd even
say load images ordered by ascending distance to the current viewport's
center...

> Though in KDE there is also the KIO cache ..

It might be interesting to load images from the KIO cache in advance,
right. Is there a function that indicates the caching status for a URL?

Tobias